TOWN BOARD MEETING
January 7, 2013 Page 1 of 5
A special 2013 organizational meeting of the Richfield Town Board was held on Tuesday, January 7, 2013, at the Richfield Town Hall. The meeting was called to order at 6:00 PM by Supervisor Enjem. Board members in attendance were Bond, Domion, Seamon, and Snyder.
The Board reviewed organizational items as follows:
1. Reimbursement rate for 2013 will be .56 per mile. The Town will also adopt the unreceipted per diem meal and travel rates as used by the state. To receive the full per diem allowance travel must be for overnight.
2. The Daily Star will be the official newspaper; additional publications may be used in addition to the legal paper when deemed necessary.
3. Town claims and vouchers must be certified.
4. NBT and Bank of Cooperstown will be official depositories.
5. The regular meeting of the Town Board will be on the third Monday of the month at the Town Hall. In December, January, February, and March the meetings will start at 6:00 PM. April through November the meetings will start at 7:00 PM.
6. The Superintendent of Highways may spend up to $1000.00 per purchase without Board approval. New materials and equipment must be purchased following procurement policy guidelines.
7. The Town will follow the procurement policy adopted March 12, 1992.
8. The Board of Health shall consist of the Supervisor and Town Board.
9. That Board member Domion be appointed Health Officer for the Town of Richfield. (No salary associated with this position) Expenses for courses and mileage will be reimbursed.
10. The Town will continue its membership in the Association of Towns. The Supervisor represents the Town of Richfield at the annual Association of Towns Training School & Annual Meeting in NYC each year as a voting member. In the absence of the Supervisor, William Seamon is appointed as the voting delegate at the meeting. Representative attending will be reimbursed for incurred expenses to meetings with receipts accompanying bills, except as indicated in the New York State unreceipted travel guidelines. To receive the full per diem allowance travel must be for overnight.
11. Supervisor, Board members, Town Clerk, Highway Superintendent, Assessors, Town Justices, Court Clerks, and any other appointee of the Town wishing to attend training schools and meetings related to their associated positions are allowed to attend and be reimbursed for
TOWN BOARD MEETING
January 7, 2013 Page 2 of 5
receipted bills or unreceipted per diem meal and travel rates as used by the New York State. To receive the full per diem allowance travel must be for overnight. Prior approval of the Town Board is required if possible.
12. That heavy equipment operators paid at the rate of $16.60 per hour, light equipment operators at the rate of $15.00 per hour.
13. Monica Harris appointed Historian with an annual salary of $400.00 payable annually.
14. Board of Assessment Review members paid $10.00 per hour.
15. That Monica Harris be Registrar of Vital Statistics with an annual salary $200.00, Veronica McCoy, Deputy Registrar at $100.00 both payable annually, and Michael Kress be appointed sub-registrar, no salary is attached to this position.
16. That Councilwoman Domion be in charge of the Town Hall and along with Supervisor Enjem will oversee arrangements for the proposed improvements/maintenance for the Town Hall/Garage.
17. That Douglas Brooks be appointed Deputy Superintendent of Highways at an annual salary of $600, payable semi-annually.
18. That Veronica McCoy and Richard Harris appointed deputy clerks with annual salaries of: Deputy Clerk McCoy $800.00 and Deputy Clerk Harris $2,600.00, payable semi-annually.
19. That William Seamon be appointed deputy supervisor and authorized as signatory on town accounts (one signature required) in the event that the Supervisor is absent, out of town, or ill, at an annual salary of $600.00, paid semi-annually.
20. That David Weiss appointed Dog Control Officer for the Town at an annual salary of $2000.00, paid quarterly.
21. That Margaret Woodrow appointed Land Use Officer and FEMA Administrator for the Town at an annual salary of $3,500.00. Salary to be paid bi-weekly.
22. That Court Clerk will be paid $15.25 per hour; the Deputy Court Clerk will be paid $14.50 per hour.
23. That the Town follows the leave policy in the Personnel Policy adopted 12/29/04.
TOWN BOARD MEETING
January 7, 2013 Page 3 of 5
24. The following salaries to be in effect for 1012: Supervisor - $10,000.00; Clerk/Collector - $12,500.00; Board members - $2,100.00; Highway Superintendent - $44,000.00; 1st Justice - $9,700.00; 2nd Justice - $15,300.00; Assessor Margaret Woodrow(appointed) $15,500.00.
25. That Land Use Permit applications be obtained from the Town Clerk or Land Use Officer. The completed application must be returned to the Clerk or Land Use Officer along with the $15.00 application fee before a permit may be issued. All applications will be numbered for audit and control purpose. The $35.00 fee for a Variance includes the $15.00 fee charged for a building permit. Special Permits are $25.00 and do not require a building permit.
26. That Councilwoman Bond is appointed as communications liaison to the school district, village, and fire department for emergency planning for the Town, and that Councilwoman Bond and Supervisor Enjem will represent the Town on the School/Village/ Town shared services committee.
27. That David Merzig be appointed as Town Attorney, with $2,500.00 annual unlimited contact, hourly rate of $150.00 per hour for court representation, plus portal to portal mileage at the IRS rate.
28. The STAR assistant paid at the rate of $9.50 per hour.
29. Ag and Markets requires that the Town appoint a veterinarian who will be available 24/7. We appoint Herkimer Veterinary Associates.
30. Planning Board members plus the one alternate member of the Planning Board will be paid $30.00 per meeting in 2013. Members must be present when the meeting is called to order to get paid. If the secretary is a member of the Board, the secretary will receive an additional $25.00 per month; if the secretary is not a member of the board, the secretary will receive $600.00 per year. Land Use Board of Appeals members will be paid $25.00 per meeting. If the secretary for the Board is also a Board member, the secretary will receive an additional $35.00 per month. If the secretary is not a Board member, the Secretary will be paid $600.00 per year. The chairman of each board will be paid an additional $150.00 per year.
31. That Councilwoman Snyder and Councilwoman Domion will oversee the maintenance of Bakers Beach structures/facilities.
32... That the Supervisor appoints Cindy Hall as confidential secretary with an annual salary of $8,400.00 payable bi-weekly.
33. Ames Insurance be appointed as a consultant and handle all insurance related items and liaison with the Towns insurance carrier, NYMIR.
TOWN BOARD MEETING
January 7, 2013 Page 4 of 5
34. Elected officials and employees will not be paid mileage for picking up supplies if the vendor provides free delivery.
35. The Supervisor is authorized to pay utility bills and buy postage without Board approval to avoid late fees.
36. The following appointments were made to the Land Use Board of Appeals, all terms to begin on January1st and end on December 31st. For the Land Use Board of Appeals: Richard Laurenzo (01/01/2011 to 12/31/2015); William Berberick (01/01/2010 to 12/31/2011); Marjorie Walters (01/01/2010 to 12/31/2012); Tim Cantwell (01/01/2010 to 12/31/2013); Thomas Richvalsky (01/01/2010 to 12/31/2014). For the Planning Board: Cyndy Andela (01/01/2011 to 12/31/2015); Janet Sylvester (01/01/2012 to 12/31/2016); Paul Szeflinski (01/01/2013 to 12/31/2017); Donald Urtz (01/01/2010 to 12/31/2013); R. Joseph Woodrow (07/18/2011 to 12/31/14); alternate Richard Harris (01/01/2010 to 12/31/2014. The expired terms for Land Use Board of Appeals members will be addressed at a later meeting.
37. The Village of Richfield Springs is authorized to use the Town Hall for Village elections in March. The date for 2013 is March 19th.
Motion by Seamon, second by Snyder and Domion to approve organizational items # 1 - 37 as listed and as noted that item 36 will be addressed at a later date. Bond - yes, Domion - yes, Seamon - yes, Snyder – yes, Enjem – yes.
Motion by Snyder, second by Bond to approve the following transfers: from 12 cents from A1110.4(Justice Contractual) to A1110.1(Justice Personal Services); 8 cents from A1110.4(Justice Contractual) to A1110.10(2nd Justice Personal Services); 12 cents from A1220.4(Supervisor Contractual) to A1220.1(Supervisor Personal Services); 4 cents from A1410.4(Town Clerk Contractual) to A1410.1(Town Clerk Personal Services); 10 cents from A5010.4(Superintendent of Highways Contractual) to A5010.1(Superintendent of Highways Personal Services). Bond – yes, Domion – yes, Seamon – yes, Snyder – yes, Enjem – yes.
Motion by Snyder, second by Bond to pay $5.00 more per week for the cleaning person. Bond – yes, Domion – yes, Seamon – yes, Snyder – yes, Enjem – yes.
Motion by Domion, second by Snyder to amend § 1-10 Employee Benefits, A-2 as follows: Opting – out from health insurance coverage will still be an option, but instead of 50% of the Town’s annual cost there will be a flat payment of $3,000.00. All other conditions of the opt-out clause remain the same. Bond – yes, Domion – yes, Seam on – yes, Snyder – yes, Enjem – yes.
The clerk read a notice from the Association of Towns concerning the February training school.
Highway Superintendent Kress has received an offer of $200.00 for an old plow that is unusable. Motion by Domion, second by Snyder to declare the plow surplus and allow the sale of the plow
TOWN BOARD MEETING
January 7, 2013 Page 5 of 5
contingent on approval from Attorney Merzig. Bond – yes, Domion – yes, Seamon – yes, Snyder – yes, Enjem – yes.
Councilwoman Bond asked about a Code of Ethics for the town. The Town of Warren has been cited by the state for not having adopted one. The Supervisor will check again with the county and contact our attorney for a draft that the board may consider.
Motion to adjourn at 6:55 by Domion, second by Snyder, unanimous.
Monica Harris, Clerk